Remote working is no longer just a trend, it’s become a reality for companies all over the world. As a result, there are thousands of managers and team leaders who have to suddenly manage remote teams, and it can definitely be intimidating.
Here are some tips to help prepare yourself and your team to meet the challenges before you, successfully!
- Check-in Daily: Face-to-Face, one on one… well, via video anyway! Your team needs to see you, and you need to see them. Zoom or GoToMeeting are popular video/audio platforms that make it easy to stay in touch. At least at first, you should aim to touch base via video every day. Set the agenda for the day, and provide the feedback and resources your team needs.
- Use the Technology Available: As a manager, your job is keeping your team connected. Slack or Microsoft Teams are good examples of tools for collaboration and communication. Some of them are even available for free right now.
- Manage Expectations: Reset expectations! Help your team to define their daily tasks, and create realistic expectations for their work. This applies to you too! Set yourself up for success by clearly establishing tasks and the reasons behind them. Make sure your team understands exactly how you’ll measure success. Define the scope of projects, deadlines and deliverables.
- Focus on Outcomes: It’s impossible to manage every aspect of the work done by your team remotely. Instead of focusing on the activity or hours your team is working, focus on the outcome.
- Give Them the Resources They Need: Make sure they have the tech they need to get the work done. With a team suddenly working remotely, it’s a good bet they’ll need tools like laptops, mobile devices and high-speed Internet. Don’t assume everyone is ready to work from home. It’s your responsibility to make sure they have everything they need to get the job done.
The current environment requires us all to be more flexible. Your team has a lot going on! While that’s no excuse for not getting the job done, it’s important to reconsider how you’ll measure productivity. Trust your team and give them the flexibility to get the work done in a way that works for everyone.
For more tips and expert advice join us for our next free webinar on Navigating Business Through Unprecedented Times on May 14, 2:00pm – 3:00pm. To learn more or register, click here.